As a homeowner, one of the last things you want is to have water pooling on your property. These types of problems can be costly to fix and can damage your home in a number of ways. If you’re having drainage issues, but don’t know what options you have, here are a few to consider.

Surface Drainage

This type of drainage will remove water that collects in your yard. It will consist of shallow ditches and should include land smoothing or grading. These shallow ditches will act as canals for run-off water and should be placed in a parallel pattern. They will lead water to the main drain, which prevents the water from pooling and flooding.

Subsurface Drainage Systems

This type of drainage system is also known as a French drain. They are placed beneath the top layer of soil to remove the excess water at the root level. These types of drains do require digging deep ditches and installation of underground pipes around your home. While this type of drainage system is quite involved, adding one while your home is being built will remove the need to install one down the road, and will also reduce the cost of installation.

Slope Drainage System

A slope drain will allow water to flow downward from a structure, such as your home, by moving it through a number of pipes and down a slope. The pipes will be installed and anchored to a point at a small incline, which helps the water flow through the pipe and away from your home, reducing the risk of flooding.

Downspout and Gutter Systems

These types of systems collect rainwater and divert it to the ground. A downspout is attached to your gutters, and helps carry the water out of the gutters and away from your home. This type of system helps the water roll off your roof and away from your home so you don’t experience flooding around the perimeter of your home.

If you’re looking for the best drainage system or combination of systems, contact A.M. Woodland Outdoor Design today at 847-224-2167. We can help you find the right solution, or create a custom plan to help avoid flooding and home damage.